Sunday, October 4, 2015

My Year of Singleness and Sobriety


When I first accepted Jesus into my heart, before I really even understood that God can and does clearly speak to us all, He called me to lay down a few things for a time in order to get to know Him better. The two things in particular that He really spoke to me about were romantic relationships and alcohol. For a while I rebelled against this calling, and the consequences I faced were not fun. God never stops pursuing us, and just as a quick side lesson, it is always better to obey right away, than to test Him, see the disastrous results, and then finally come around with a whole lot of extra baggage trailing behind you. A little over a year ago, after two unhealthy relationships, and yet another gut-wrenchingly awful drunken night, I finally got it, and promised God a year with no drinking or dating. 

I made this promise right before I did a Discipleship Training School, or DTS, (which you can read all about here https://flowerchildministries.wordpress.com/ywam/ywam-adventures/) and that part of the year was definitely the easier period of time. Before you start a DTS, you sign an agreement saying you won't drink any alcohol or start any romantic relationships for the duration of the program. So for five months I was learning about God every day, my schedule was all kinds of busy with serving and loving other people in the name of Jesus, and I had a whole team right alongside me, in the exact same boat, if ever I needed support.
The second part of the year was a bit more challenging. I moved back to San Diego after living elsewhere for twelve years. I went from the biggest spiritual high of my life, to a total desert period. Starting out with no friends, no job, and no deep connections at a new church, the easiest option for me would have been to do what I've always done: get a boyfriend for companionship and comfort, and try to fill my emotional void with drinking and partying. But if I can only keep my faith when I am 'feeling' God, then I don't have any true faith at all. We need those times of trial to really see whether or not it is God who we rely on. (Lamentations 3:40 and Psalm 139:23-24) 
I am so grateful for how God set-up the year because its layout ensured that I learned as much as possible. The first part of the year built up my trust in Him. I learned what it means to really have Christ as my foundation. Then the second part of my year showed me what it looks like to have my faith tested. That foundation in Christ, and relying on Him, is the only thing that got me to stick to those promises during the trials.

There were definitely plenty of times when I felt seriously tempted. I had a few times of crossing over that line between sobriety and drunkenness while trying to figure out what it looks like to just enjoy alcohol in moderation. It was hard, I had my slip ups, but above all I really did learn so, so much. Here are seven things I learned during the past year that I think are really worth sharing. No matter where you are at right now, or what your journey looks like at this time, I think these are the sorts of things we can all keep revisiting during many different stages of life.

1. Idolatry isn't just about worshipping golden calves
I don’t know about you, but previously when I heard the word idol, the first thing I thought of was a little statue, some material object shaped like a man, animal, or mythical being. When I read the commandment “you shall not make for yourself an idol… you shall not bow down to them or worship them” (Genesis 20:4-5) it was just so easy to feel like that didn’t really apply to me because I don’t live in a time or society that is making and worshipping golden calves the way the Israelites did. But truly, we have an over abundance of potential idols surrounding us today.
I have now learned that one commits idolatry whenever they honor or revere something or someone in place of God; whether this be other gods, or demons, power, pleasure, race, ancestors, the state, money, celebrities, husbands, wives, careers, travel, beauty, yourself… the list goes on. Whatever sits in your number one spot when it comes to things of importance, whatever it is that you always turn to, whatever it is that you desire above all else, that is your idol. That is what you have made your god. It is human nature to want to worship and be driven by something, and if that thing isn’t God, then you are committing idolatry.
Truly, I had such a serious problem with idolizing romantic relationships and drinking. When I realized that love from a boyfriend mattered more to me than love from God, and that I turned to drinking for comfort instead of my Lord and Savior, I knew that I was idolizing those things, and it was time for some serious reprioritizing.

2. Reliance + Expectations = Disappointment
I am sure many of you have heard that famous Bob Marley quote: “The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.” So often though, I think our times of feeling deeply hurt and let down come from the fact that we want to rely on other people or other things, and we expect them to always be there for us and to fulfill us. But we live in a fallen world, we are all only human, and are bound to make mistakes. Removing that reliance and those expectations won’t necessarily mean that you will never feel hurt ever again. Despite what you feel though, you can choose to realize that since we are all different and none of us are perfect, there are bound to be times when someone does something against your desires. There are times you are going to do something against plenty of other people’s desire too. Don’t take it personally, forgive as soon as possible, and remember that no other person or other thing can ever fulfill you. That may seem crazy hard, but do you know what makes this so much easier to do? Relying on the only one who can and does completely fulfill you: God.
So many times in life when I have felt upset, let down, disappointed, or abandoned, it has been because I was putting the weight of my whole happiness on another person, in particular, a boyfriend - which is completely unfair and unreasonable. Or, I was expecting a party or night out to suddenly give me purpose, lift all my sorrows, and make me forget about any problems I had - which just doesn’t even make any sense. But now that I know God is the one who sees me through every kind of everything, I don’t have to put that pressure on anyone or anything else. I still have times when I even don’t want to trust Him, but then I remember that my Father in Heaven has said “for my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways… for as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8-9) Even though I have been hurt and betrayed by people in the past, I can trust God. Human behavior is not a reflection of His behavior. God is always good. He is always more than enough.


3. Receiving and believing in your authentic, unadulterated identity is a necessary (and wonderful!) adventure
As a sort of extension from the previous lesson, not only did I learn the importance of not fully relying on other people and things, or expecting them to fulfill me, but I also learned that it is not other people or other things that make up my identity. When you let God strip away the distractions, the things you were using to cover up your true identity, you end up seeing all the good, the bad, and the ugly going on inside you. It is liberating, exciting, difficult, terrifying, but worth it. Ultimately, our identity should be based on what God tells us about ourselves. While we are all beautifully unique and different, there are a few truths that we can all be sure of: We were created in God’s own image (Genesis 1:27), we are His children (John 1:12), we are no longer slaves to sin (Romans 6:6), and God loves us so, SO much (John 3:16/ the whole Bible). I actually have a whole blog post dedicated to rambling about how precious God thinks every single person is, so if later you would like to read more about accepting your true identity, follow this link: http://www.ramblingrf.blogspot.hk/2015/04/accepting-your-true-identity.html

4. BOUNDARIES! You need them. You deserve them. Keep them!
I don’t think this one needs much explaining. I know for me personally, I found it very hard to put up and keep boundaries when it came to romantic relationships and alcohol because I felt that a) I wasn’t worth having a say in the matter and b) I didn’t want to disappoint anyone else because I feared they may abandon me. Obviously once you know that God is enough and that your true identity is found in Him, it becomes easier to set up boundaries based on the life He desires for you, and it becomes easier to keep those boundaries. I know He calls me to act a certain way, and I know He says that I am worth being treated a certain way, so rather than fearing human beings, I am going to fear Him. I am going to do what pleases Him, not other people. (Galatians 1:10)

5. Abruptly opening your cellar door doesn't cause your house to have rats…
This is one of my favorite sayings to meditate on. It comes from C.S. Lewis’s ‘Mere Christianity’ (great book, you should read it!) where he writes: “We begin to notice, besides our particular sinful acts, our sinfulness; begin to be alarmed not only about what we do, but about what we are. This may sound rather difficult, so I will try to make it clear from my own case. When I come to my evening prayers and try to reckon up the sins of the day, nine times out of ten the most obvious one is some sin against charity; I have sulked or snapped or sneered or snubbed or stormed. And the excuse that immediately springs to my mind is that the provocation was so sudden and unexpected: I was caught off my guard, I had not time to collect myself. Now that may be an extenuating circumstance as regards those particular acts: they would obviously be worse if they had been deliberate and premeditated. On the other hand, surely what a man does when he is taken off his guard is the best evidence for what sort of a man he is? Surely what pops out before the man has time to put on a disguise is the truth? If there are rats in a cellar you are most likely to see them if you go in very suddenly. But the suddenness does not create the rats: it only prevents them from hiding. In the same way the suddenness of the provocation does not make me an ill-tempered man: it only shows me what an ill-tempered man I am. The rats are always there in the cellar, but if you go in shouting and noisily they will have taken cover before you switch on the light.”
At the beginning of my year of intentional singleness and sobriety, I remember thinking “I just have problems with guys and alcohol, when those two things aren’t in the mix, I really am just fine.” I give you permission to laugh at what I now realize is a very naïve, ridiculous, and untrue thing to think. Once I laid those things aside, I was able to see that I really do struggle with a lot of sinful anger. I always had blamed that anger on boyfriends and alcohol, but they really weren’t the cause of my anger, they just revealed that it was there in my heart. Once I could no longer use those two things as an excuse, I had to come to terms with the fact that I struggle with anger, and then I was able to finally actually explore where that came from. After reading ‘The Emotionally Healthy Woman’ by Geri Scazzero (another really great book that everyone should read. Even if you think you are emotionally healthy and even if you are a man!) I really began to tackle the problems I have with expressing myself, wanting to control things, and engaging in healthy confrontation. If you are reading this thinking, “wow, that really doesn’t sound like fun,” you are very correct. But I know that letting God guide me through and past these things is well worth the discomfort. I also know that God would have never been able to work on these things with me had I continued to cover them up with excuses.


6. Deep and complete healing is only possible with the Holy Spirit
I am not sure if I can really describe this one, I think it would be better to just tell you a story to explain what I mean… During my DTS lecture phase, one of our weeks was dedicated to learning about the Holy Spirit. On our last night of ‘Holy Spirit Week’ we were going to have a ‘Holy Spirit Party.’ I had heard stories from other students about how crazy and fun and amazing this time with the Spirit would be, and I was all amped up and excited. But then when we arrived to the night of the party, our lecturer announced that He felt like God instead wanted to share with us all the deep, emotional healing power of the Holy Spirit. The idea was that we would all just sit on the ground asking God to bring up anything we hadn’t yet really recovered from, and then invite His Spirit to come in and take that harbored pain away.
As other people around me started sobbing as they prayed through their own stuff, I just sat there feeling disappointed. Then God brought up a past relationship to me. And I was like “oh, that’s real awkward God… not sure how you missed it… but he’s forgiven me, I’ve forgiven him, we are all cool now, so that really isn’t something I need to address.” See, in my mind, forgiveness meant you weren’t allowed to think about it anymore. If you have forgiven someone, then you have let go of that hurt, you don’t feel it anymore, right? God spoke to me and told me that I still hadn’t yet let myself really grieve and feel the sense of loss that I felt deep down inside. He let me know that it is ok to feel those things, it didn’t have to mean that my forgiveness wasn’t real. He asked me to let myself feel those things, then give that hurt to Him and allow His Spirit to do the healing necessary.
So that is exactly what I did. I joined the Holy Spirit sobbing party that surrounded me. The peace and restoration I now feel about that whole relationship is something I never would have imagined possible. It isn’t an act, it isn’t something I have to keep trying to force myself to feel, it now really truly is as though all that hurt and past has been wiped clean, and a new, fresh friendship is possible. Previously, I never would have thought it possible to look at someone I have so much history with and just see one of my brothers in Christ, but all things are possible with God. (Matthew 19:26 and Mark 10:27)

7. Focusing on Jesus > Forcing yourself to change
Up until this point, it probably has sounded like I just had a year of telling myself to give things up, stop doing things, avoid, don’t, no, no, no. But in actual fact, what really changed my heart and behavior was adding something major into my life, actually the most important thing. I had tried in the past to give up sinful behavior using just my own will power and telling myself not to do something because those are the rules. That did not go great. This year was about so much more than giving things up though. It was about focusing on God. About soaking in the love that He has to offer, without any distractions, without any substitutes, and developing a beautiful relationship with Him. When my focus is on Jesus, on His love for me, on wanting to love Him in return, and then also wanting to love others with that love, so many of my sinful desires just sort of naturally fall away. It becomes no longer a matter of 'you can’t do that,' but rather, 'I don’t want to do that.'
Really though, it is a daily choice, a lifetime commitment. (Luke 9:23-25) When I am seeking God, all these lessons appear so clear in my mind. When I forget and just start my day without even considering Him though, I so easily start thinking and doing all the wrong things again. It comes down to waking up everyday and saying “God I choose You today. I want Your heart. Please will You lead me.”

With this ramble, I'm not saying that every person needs to dedicate an outlined period of time to giving up what I gave up in order to really get to know God. I'm also not saying that romantic relationships and alcohol are bad. When done right, romantic relationships can be like a little glimpse of heaven, a little glimpse of God’s intended perfect love, sacrifice, and submission between Christ and the Church. That's why it is so worth knowing what a right relationship looks like! And I'm a bartender, so obviously I don't condemn drinking. I definitely think there is a way for people to enjoy alcohol in a responsible way. Each of us has our own unique path ahead. We all have different strengths and weaknesses. These are just two things in my own personal life that God wanted me to lay aside for a season so that I could learn some important and specific things about wonderful Him and about myself.
I most certainly still have so much to learn. God has been so good in teaching me with such patience, care, and love though. So often, when we let go of one thing and overcome it, we suddenly see that it was hiding something else that is also a hindrance to us living the life He truly desires for us. It’s ok. Just take it a step at a time, and know that He has already brought you so, so far, and He has already overcome the world. Even if it seems like it is still such a long way to go, that is ok. You have the best God, King, Father, Counselor, and Guide imaginable leading you along. Today I invite everyone to pause and ask God if there is anything getting in the way of the amazing growth He has for you. Listen to what He has to say. Obey. Trust. Proceed forward. Go towards His will. It is definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment